The osteoporosis is a fairly common disease that affects the bones, weakening them. This weakening is due to small or severe fractures to the spine.
Women are more prone to this disease than men, but fortunately it is possible to cure the disease or even prevent it, through power.
In our blog we explain what are the causes and symptoms, but most of all what are the foods for osteoporosis.
Causes and symptoms of osteoporosis
The bones of the body are composed of tissues, in large part from collagen and phosphate, respectively, a protein that forms a softer texture and then a mineral capable of curing the bone.
Over the years, the bones renew themselves in their composition, removing the old bone to make way for the new. What are the causes of osteoporosis?
The causes are right at the base of this renewal: often those suffering from osteoporosis has not accumulated enough bone mass before 30-35 years, when bones tend to weaken gradually. Still, those who suffer from osteoporosis has a faster than normal process of weakening. So you can say that the chances of getting osteoporosis depends on the accumulation of bone mass between 20 and 30 years: the higher the stronger bone mass accumulated, the lower the chances of getting osteoporosis.
There are clearly aspects which, if improved and corrected, may reduce the likelihood of osteoporosis:
- Lack of calcium: If not enough calcium assimilate years of full bone renewal, there will be a significant increase in the risk of osteoporosis.
- Tobacco: Tobacco affects bone weakening.
- Sedentary lifestyle: If you spend most of your time sitting, know that you will have a greater chance of suffering from the disease compared to those who have a much more active lifestyle. Make the gym, go running, do calisthenics, all this is very important in prevention.
- Too much alcohol: Alcohol is bad, you know, but especially if you drink two glasses of alcohol a day the risk of osteoporosis is very serious because alcohol hinder calcium absorption.
- Corticosteroids: Medication cortisone, prednisone and dexamethasone damages by weakening bones. Obviously many cures are based on these medications, so if you’re forced to prolonged use of these, your doctor will prescribe other products that prevent the degeneration of the bones.
The symptoms of osteoporosis are few, but clear:
- Frequent persistent sore back
- The stature decrease
- Posture curve
- The vertebrae and bone fracture
You may also like to read another article on MenHealthCare: Causes of hamstring injury
Treat osteoporosis with the power
To treat osteoporosis can intervene or with specific drugs for the treatment of the disease, or by including calcium diet, vitamin D and calcium supplements. So if you plan to treat osteoporosis, and especially to prevent it through alimentazionem you introduce into your diet with milk and all its derivatives, for example, the cheese, and then the orange for the absorption of vitamin D.
Here are the foods useful to treat osteoporosis:
- Milk and yogurt: At least one cup or package a day to get the daily calcium contribution.
- Cheese: The more calcium-rich dairy products.
- Fish: they have huge amounts of calcium, but also contain vitamin D.
- Soy and legumes: Recommended to eat at least 2 times a week, because they contain as much calcium and vegetable protein.
- Dark green leafy vegetables: Arugula, radicchio, broccoli, chicory, contain about 70mg of calcium per 100g.
- Water with calcium content: For example mineral water of soda-lime glass.