There are some risk factors that can cause a person to develop breast cancer. Although it is true that we cannot speak of scientifically proven causes, we can see that there are some patterns that are followed that can lead to the appearance of this disease. In this article we want to reveal what the causes of breast cancer are, taking into account what we have already mentioned: that there is still no proven evidence and, therefore, we are talking about risk factors rather than causes.
Possible causes of breast cancer
We have already specified that there are some causes of breast cancer that can lead to the development of the disease. However, they should not be taken literally because you can have these risk factors and not have this type of cancer. Below we indicate the most common patterns that are repeated among patients with this disease.
- Age: most people with breast cancer suffer from it after 50 years of age, and those under 35 have a lower risk, although it is not impossible.
- Women are the most likely to have this type of cancer but you should know that a man can also suffer from it, however, the probability is much lower: 1 man for every 100 women.
- The risk of suffering from this disease also increases if there is a family history that has suffered from it. Later in this article, we will deal individually with hereditary breast cancer.
- Another cause of breast cancer may be related to having previously suffered from some other type of cancer or a benign tumor in the breast.
- Late menopause, that is, the one experienced after the age of 55, is also a factor that can lead to the appearance of cancer.
- Motherhood also has something to do with this condition since if you have not had biological children or the birth has taken place after the age of 30, they can also encourage the appearance of this cancer.
Other risk factors for breast cancer
Although exact tests do not yet exist, research is being done on whether some factors in the environment can affect a person’s health and cause them to develop the disease; pesticides, electromagnetic fields, or contaminating elements in water and food are the elements that are being studied.
An investigation is also launched that wants to discover if there is a binding relationship between the consumption of alcoholic beverages and suffering from the disease; There is some research that has seen a relationship between the two, but research is still being done in the field.
It is not a certain science either, but the possible relationship between people who suffer from obesity and the appearance of this cancer is being studied. Specialist doctors investigate this topic because it is believed that obese women are prone to producing estrogen, something that can stimulate the appearance of breast cancer.
It can also be considered as another risk factor for breast cancer received radiotherapy, especially if you were young and the power of the rays is very high. It is especially found in patients who have experienced this therapy in the chest area.
However, in this article we once again emphasize that even if you have any of these risk factors, it does NOT mean that you will suffer from breast cancer, they are only risk factors that have been associated with the development of the disease but are not binding at all. Oncologists continue to investigate what causes cancer to appear in people’s bodies.
Is breast cancer hereditary?
First of all, we must point out that only 5 out of every 100 women who suffer from breast cancer have their reasons due to genetic influence . The main reason for this inheritance is that the mother or sister has suffered from breast cancer, so the affected person can find one of the reasons for the development of the disease in the genetic aspect.
It is recommended that women get tested to prevent breast cancer if they have experienced any of these situations in their family:
- If 3 or more women in your family have had breast cancer, it is important that they get tested.
- If 2 women in the family have breast cancer and at least one of them has had it before the age of 50, it is also important that they get tested.
- If 1 woman in the family has had breast cancer and another has had ovarian cancer, it is also recommended that she be examined.
- If 2 women in the same family have had ovarian cancer, it is also advisable to get tested.
- If you have a family member under the age of 35 who has had breast cancer, you should also have a medical exam.
With this family history, you may be more likely to suffer from breast cancer, however, the chances are very low and it is better not to be alarmed but to take care of yourself and undergo accurate tests. Don’t play with your health.
As you have already seen, there are no scientifically reliable causes of breast cancer, however, there are some factors that can cause the disease to develop. For this reason, it is important that you take into account some preventive measures that will help you live a healthier life.
- Practice moderate exercise daily.
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet. In this article, we tell you how to eat to prevent breast cancer.
- Control your weight since one of the studies refers to the fact that obesity can contribute to the development of the disease.
- Reduce alcohol intake.